Simple WMA player from Windows Media Server Stream

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Hello,

I am just getting to know Project Starlight.  Pardon me for asking questions taht might be too basic for these discussion lists.

Problem
We have a stream server that broadcasts audio in wma format over the internet.  Currently there is a flash player that handles play, stop, and volume controls.  This player is not compatible with other browsers and MAC OS.  We would like to make a silverlight based player that would handle play, stop, and volume controls from a windows media audio stream.  We already have the skin for the player.

One functionality that we could not implement was displaying the album image which currently is stored as a .gif file on web server and loading the name of the song, album, and artist into the player to display.  The song information is stored in an XML file.

Solution
What kind of approach would any of you recommend for this problem?  We made the built in player of silverlight to work with the stream player which you can take a look at here http://38.98.3.36/radio/.  But this is too simple and does not display song information nor image of the album.

Your help is much appreciated!

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

We have a stream server that broadcasts audio in wma format over the internet.  Currently there is a flash player that handles play, stop, and volume controls.

Based on the above information, I believe that your audio stream is not a multicast stream.  Correct?   If it's unicast, you don't really need the Starlight components...  Starlight is a plugin that works with Silverlight to support multicast.

You'd probably be better off asking in a Silverlight forum, instead...

And fwiw, if your flash player doesn't work in other flash capable browsers...well...there is something wrong with it. :)   Crossplatform and crossbrowser support for Flash has been around for a rather long while....